Our Birth Story


Our little G is a little over 3 months old and I am FINALLY posting our birth story. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE telling this story – I always feel so empowered remembering labor and delivery. I still can’t believe I did it!!

GIRL POWER to the 5,000,000th degree!!

To get the full story we have to start a week before G was born! So here we go!

I remember around this time noticing I was a weeeeee bit puffier than usual…let’s put it this way – even my Crocs wouldn’t fit my tootsies. My best friend had a baby about a year ago and had some issues with pre-eclampsia so when I noticed the crazy swelling I was a bit nervous that pre-e was in the cards for me. BUT I had no other symptoms and so I just continued my life like normal – I was about 37 weeks pregnant. On Monday, August 17th, I was headed to staff meeting and, while I was  walking, my peripheral vision started to vanish and my vision became super blurry (RED FLAG). I was immediately concerned because…hey that’s another sign of pre-e…ruh roh. So, I called my doctors and of course they said – COME ON DOWN AND LET US CHECK YOU OUT.

My doctor checked me out and my blood pressure was slightly high but not high enough to be a real problem. Sooo, my doctor sent me home and told me to make sure I was monitoring my blood pressure and taking it easy. As I was monitoring my blood pressure that week I noticed it was alarmingly high multiple times and long story short I was in out of the hospital 4 TIMES that week. Monday, Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday. All of these times I had high blood pressure when I was at my OBGYN’s office but when they would send to the hospital it would drop and I would be sent home. Needless to say, I had many emotional breakdowns this week – every time I left the hospital without my baby I LOST IT! On my Sunday visit to the hospital my doctor decided that I would need to do a 24 hour urine sample (probably TMI but…you are reading my birth story) and since I had an already scheduled appointment on Monday I could just bring it back in.

I peed in my little device for 24 hours…and let me just say my cup runneth over, if you catch my drift. And when I went in for my Monday appointment my doctor once again noticed my blood pressure was high soooo she sent me to the hospital. They tested my urine and noticed that the protein levels in it were off the charts and what they thought was just gestational hypertension  was actually the dreaded PRE-E!!! NOOOOOO….so they decided to induce me! YAY/OMG I am still 2 weeks from being prepared for this…but it was happening so I had to get ready REAL FAST! I called Aaron and told him what was going on and my mom decided to go get me MY LAST MEAL (only being able to consume ice chips STINKS!!!!). I remember sitting alone in that hospital room and listening to You Make Me Brave, thanking God for being with me in that hospital room. The most incredible peace enveloped me and carried me through the entire experience.

They didn’t immediately start me on Pitocin. They gave me something that was supposed to thin my cervix around 8PM and told me they would check me in 12 hours. If nothing had changed we would have to start the process over again. I had determined that I NEEDED to labor and deliver unmedicated (meaning no epidural). After they gave me the medicine I began having what I thought were contractions all night long and around 4AM I couldn’t handle being awake any longer and called the nurse in to find out if I could get any medicine to help with the pain. I am not sure what she gave me but I remember saying to her, “How long will this take to…” and before I could say kick in I fell right to sleep! That was the best sleep of my life!!!


At 8AM the nurse came in, checked me and told me there was NO PROGRESS! I was immediately discouraged but she told me the doctor would be in in about an hour and would discuss what would happen next with me. Aaron decided to go get breakfast for him and my mom when the doctor came and checked me. BUT this time he said I was 2 centimeters dilated and 70% effaced and it was time to start Pitocin. Before that though, he broke my water….which was so weird btw. Almost immdiately I decided I was never again going to be without medication while trying to push a human being out of my body! So I said GET ME AN EPIDURAL!!!!

My anesthesiologist was a gem (punny) and all seemed to be going well after he you know…did the thing. But QUICKLY after he left the room I realized, OMG I am feeling everything on my right side. IS THIS REAL LIFE???? The epidural was only affecting the left side of my body and these contractions were SERIOUS! The nurses tried turning on my right side…medicine follows gravity, they said. LIES!!! My medicine had a mind of its own and even after the anesthesiologist came back and adjusted the needle I still could feel everything on my right side. My left side was so numb that at one point I freaked out and looked at my best friend and cried…IS THIS MY LEG??? I CAN’T FEEL IT!! IS THIS IT??? She assured me that thing I was touching was my leg and…we moved on.

Around 2PM the nurse finally came back to check me and to all of our surprise G was ready to come. In fact the nurse could feel her head! So, I started pushing and let me tell you…it took me 2 FREAKING HOURS to push that tiny little baby out. Woah!! Nothing is harder than pushing a human being out of your body! Finally, on August 25th at 4PM, she emerged and it was love at first sight! She was 5 lbs 1 oz, 18 inches long, and SHE WAS BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Processed with VSCOcam with a7 preset

Gemma Birth BlogShelby and Gemma

Processed with VSCOcam with t1 preset

I cannot believe that I carried and delivered this beautiful baby! I could not have done it without my amazing support system – my mom, my mom-in-love, my BFF, and my husband…no seriously they were holding up my legs and reassuring me that I wasn’t going to die, that I was going to have a baby!

Here are some more recent pictures of my little babe! Enjoy and we’ll see you soon!

Gemma_CloseupSleepy BabyMe and GemBird and Shelb12192002_10153265660690509_6583728448724778223_n





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s